Happy Thursday lovely people!
I hope you’ve been having a marvelous week thus far. As some of you might know, earlier this week I celebrated my pup Oscar’s 9th Birthday! We celebrate every year and it’s so much fun. I think I get more excited about the dog birthday parties than I do about my own birthday haha. It was a wonderful occasion and this year I made a healthy veggie stirfry for my mom and I, while the dogs enjoyed some all natural “duck stew” for Oscy’s birthday dinner, followed by Timbits for dessert.
Oscy is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and one of the sweetest pups out there. His interests include sleeping (and snoring excessively loudly haha), eating, and walking around the back yard sniffing stuff. Oh, he also likes to eat dead birds that he comes across which mighty hunter Calvy has left behind (gross, I know), watching TV (not even kidding he actually watches it especially if it’s an animal show) and enjoys playing with plush toys.
All in all he’s a wonderful dog and one of the kindest souls out there! It’s tough to believe he’s already 9 years old! Where has the time gone? We came into each others lives when he was just a pup and I can’t imagine my life without that big fluff ball.
From visiting Santa at Christmas…
To dressing up at Halloween…
And of course celebrating Birthdays…
Oscy loves to join in on the fun and have a great time. I think it’s safe to say that he thoroughly enjoyed his birthday celebration, as did we!
As I mentioned, I’d prepared a healthy veggie stirfry for my mom and I to enjoy for Oscy’s “Birthday Dinner”. It was loaded with fresh veggies, ginger, and I prepared a simple and slightly sweet soy based sauce to accompany it.
This recipe is a quick and easy one that only takes about 30 to 35 minutes to make (including veggie prep, which takes the most time), so it’s perfect for a busy week night dinner. To make things easier try cutting up the veggies in advance so they’re ready to go and you’ll have a healthy and nutritious dinner ready in 15 minutes!
Here’s what I did (makes about 4 serving) for my Ginger Veggie Stirfry:
- 2 bell pepper, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2″ pieced ginger, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cashews or peanuts, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 3 cups cooked rice noodles (I use vermicelli), whole wheat spaghettini, or brown rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced (to garnish, optional)
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp warm water
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp turbinado (raw) sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated (or dry powdered) ginger
- For sauce: in a glass bowl, melt coconut oil. Then add in soy sauce, water, sugar or honey, and ginger. Whisk gently to combine. Set aside.
- For stirfry: Heat oil over medium-high heat; add in peppers, onion, mushrooms, and broccoli. Saute for about 5 to 8 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles or rice according to package directions, then set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in garlic and ginger. Saute about 5 minutes more, then add in nuts. Stir to combine, saute about more minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add in sauce stirring to coat and combine, then add noodles or rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh green onion (if desired), serve hot and enjoy!
And here you have it folks: a tasty, nutritious veggie packed stirfry dinner ready to go. It tastes great as “left-overs” as well, though I do recommend reheating in a pan if possible rather than a microwave to maintain the delicious flavours. This meal can easily be made gluten-free by using a GF soy sauce and rice noodles. As always, when possible do try to use local, fresh, organic ingredients.
If you give this a try I’d love to know your thoughts and see photos! (#genuinelyjulie) Please like and share if you’re a fan of this recipe 🙂
ps. I will soon have the Pinterest “Pin It” function available on here for sharing my recipes too!
Wishing you great health and much happiness!