Happy Monday Wonderful People!
I’m starting to think we should call Monday’s “matcha Monday’s”. Is that cheesy? Perhaps a little eh (lol) but I think it’s kind of catchy too. I know many people dread Monday because it tends to bring with it the start of a new work week. So perhaps adding a little matcha green tea to your Monday’s will help brighten them a bit? Heh It’s worth a try I suppose!
Given that logic, it’s settled: “Matcha Monday’s” it is! And in honor of the delightful delicacy that is matcha, I have a tasty recipe to share with you all: the Tropical Matcha Smoothie Bowl!
But first lets have a quick review on why matcha is just so darn awesome and great for you!
In short it’s a powerful antioxidant, has select vitamins and minerals, lowers blood glucose levels, HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol, and oxidative stress, among others. A great resource to learn more about the health benefits of matcha can be found here. One of my previous posts for the yummy Maple Matcha Latte also goes into more detail about the health benefits of matcha and scientific evidence supporting such claims.
This recipe also features avocado, which boasts several nutritious benefits including healthy fats, fiber, and numerous vitamins and minerals, to name a few. You can learn more about the health benefits of avocado here. I try to incorporate one avocado each day into my diet. However, I understand that many people aren’t a fan of the taste or texture of these nutritious little items. Fortunately though, when combined in this smoothie recipe the taste of the avocado becomes undetectable while adding a creamy texture that compliments the smoothie perfectly.
The other key ingredient in this recipe is pineapple (or mango if you prefer). Pineapple is noted as having powerful anti-inflammatory properties, are packed with Vitamin C (among other vitamins and minerals), and not to mention a delicious taste! Nutritional properties and health benefits can be found in more detail here.
Combine all this awesomeness together and what you get is a nutrient packed, delicious tasting, creamy smoothie that’s going to keep you full and energized for several hours! I recommend having this one for breakfast, but it also makes for an easy and healthy lunch. Feel free to toss on whatever toppings you prefer, or if you’re on the go leave it in a cup and skip the fancy toppings to make for easy sipping. As always, try to use local, fresh, and organic ingredients when possible.
Here’s how I make the Tropical Matcha Smoothie Bowl! (1 serving)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pineapple (or mango), chopped
- 1 tsp matcha
- 1 Tbsp raw, unpasteurized honey (or maple real maple syrup)
- 1 cup (approximately) unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- optional: 1 Tbsp coconut flour for added fiber (this is great if you’re having trouble moving things along your digestive track)
- optional: 1 handful spinach
Topping ideas: fresh fruit, granola, One Degree Organics Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps, shredded unsweetened coconut, walnuts, pecans, almonds, hemp hearts, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Place avocado, banana, and pineapple in a single serve blender (or regular blender) with enough liquid just to cover the ingredients.
- Add in honey and matcha (and coconut flour here too if you’re including it; you’ll want to add about 1 or 2 more tablespoons of milk as well if you do).
- Blend ingredients together for about a minute or so, until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Top with your favorite healthy toppings.
- Take a deep breath, smile, and think of one thing for which you’re grateful; serve cold and enjoy! 🙂
I hope you’ll find this nutritious smoothie as delicious and enjoyable as I have!
This is a great recipe if you need an extra (and filling) boost of energy to get you through your day. It’s a lovely one for kids as well, since all the healthy stuff is camouflaged for those picky eaters out there, and it has a naturally sweet tropical taste from the pineapple! Give it a cool name (I’m thinking something that has to do with The Hulk or Ninja Turtles with all of that green? heh) and you’ve got a winner! 🙂
Happy “Matcha Monday” y’all!